NEW YORK POSTCARD
- mailed in 1906 with a clear DOANE cancel for the town that the card was mailed to (Springs, NY). This postmark has a rarity of 2.
- This is a great close up image of the Wm M Cook Department Store.
- In the title it states that formerly it was Geo B Brown and Sons / that it was the oldest Business House in town being established in 1832.
- Note dated Sept 17, 1906 states WE NOW HAVE THE PINK CHINA IN STOCK. LET ME KNOW JUST WHAT PEICES YOU WANT, AND I WILL SEND BY PREPAID EXPRESS - YOURS TRULY W M COOK (the owners name and the name on the top of the building)
- There are 2 men in the doorway of the business to the left (U L CLOTH, is all that I could read but YOU may be able to know what it was called). Then the grocery store doorway also had 2 men posing in the shot. And then what appears to be a sign between that building and the next to the right - has DR ___________ DENTIST on it.
- Was able to find a quick write-up upon the death of William Mulford Cook (1872-1934) that stated that the VILLAGE LOSES PROMINENT CITIZEN, which I will include. In it - it stated that he was able to attend to his duties at the ALWAYS SOMETHING DOING STORE until the past few weeks, when he was confined to his home. Gave his parents name and additional information.
- Unfortunately this card from over 114 years ago - has MAJOR CREASING, but is a fantastic glance back in time. Therefore it is being sold - AS IS
- Please note that the majority of the cards are over 50 years old and as such, are sold AS IS. Tears will be noted but it would be too timely to note each fault on every card. If condition is important to you - contact us with our number in the title & what it is that you would like to know or what it is that you would like pictured more closely.
Again, because of the age of the cards - they are noted as being USED - no matter if they are written on or not.